Lamar University Operations Manager, Scheduling, Operations & Event Services (SOES) #495498-Previous Applicants Need Not Apply in Beaumont, Texas
Posting Number 20111505
Position Title Operations Manager, Scheduling, Operations & Event Services (SOES) #495498-Previous Applicants Need Not Apply
Position Type Staff
Position Number 495498
Department Setzer Student Center
Position Summary Information
Job Summary/Basic Function
Position Description: This position reports directly to the Assistant Director of Scheduling, Operations & Event Services (AD-SOES) of the Setzer Student Center (SSC) and is responsible for programmatic and A/V technical support needs of featured venues in Setzer Student Center as well as providing support to the Assistant Director to manage evenings and weekend shifts of the student operations managers. The Operations Manager for Scheduling, Operations & Event Services (SOES) of the Setzer Student Center is a 12-month position with evening and weekend responsibilities year-round. This position also supports in the AD-SOES in the facilities management and responsibilities for over six outdoor locations assigned to the Setzer Student Center.
• Assist in the hiring and training of the SSC’s student operations staff and assistants in building policies, customer service, areas of information, reservations, event services and operations and hands-on tasks.
• Coordinate student operations staff and assistants’ schedules, monitor schedules for accuracy and adequate supervision, adjust scheduling process based on area needs, special events, and budget.
• Evaluate student operations staff and assistants’ knowledge, mechanics and performance handling work responsibilities and provide feedback.
• Implement student operations staff and assistants evaluations, including conducting and reviewing evaluations, identifying patterns and recommending changes to improve employment process, staffing, customer services and/or work productivity and student development.
• Assists in the planning of events in the venues and in the setup of necessary equipment for those events.
• Serves as the face of Setzer Student Center when overseeing events interacting with students, faculty, staff, alumni, parents and the public.
• Advises building users and student operations staff and assistants in the technical aspects needed for events such as lighting and audio visual.
• Assist in the routine repair and maintenance of equipment, maintaining a log of major repairs, inspections, as well as inventory and supplies.
• Reports facility or ground problems (plumbing leaks, electrical, major damage or door problems, etc.) in the building facilities and/or outdoor locations.
• Advises in the purchasing of perishable supplies and minor repair materials as needed to fulfill these duties.
• Ensure the front desk of the Setzer Student Center Administrative Office is properly staffed and the student operations staff and assistants are prepared to greet and assist visitors. Occasionally, serve as desk attendance during gap times.
• Responsible for training and supervising users and student operations staff and assistants on the safe operation of specialized equipment and safe building practices.
• Participates as an integral member of a large, multifaceted Setzer Student Center team, interacting daily with colleagues working with Vice President for Student Engagement Office, Recreational Sports, New Student and Leadership Programs, Student Government, Student Organizations, Greek Life, Cardinal Activities Board and Civic Engagement, Food Services, Bookstore and other University and Student Engagement Departments.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Assistant Director of Scheduling, Operations, and Event Services of the Setzer Student Center.
A Bachelor’s degree in Event Management, Communications, or related field is required. Minimum of one or more years of experience in Student Union facilities management or event management. Ability to coordinate and schedule events in an orderly manner. Ability to give and receive oral and written instructions. Possess the interpersonal skills necessary to interact effectively with a diverse group that includes students, staff, faculty, parents, alumni, and the public. Able to work cooperatively with fellow employees and supervisors. Ability to work in a timely manner. Prior experience in Event Scheduling, Planning and Supervision. Must also have previous experience working with sound equipment, AV equipment, and technical equipment. Must be able to climb stairs, ladders and the ability to lift at least 50 pounds on a regular basis. Additional qualifications include possessing a general familiarity with personal computer and related reservation systems and software program (i.e., Ad Astra and OrgSync) and strong organizational skills.
Lamar University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Veteran's Preference Statement
Lamar University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran applicants in accordance with Texas SB 805, Section 657.003.
Security Sensitive Statement
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.
Posting Date 06/29/2018
Open Until Filled Yes