YMCA of Greater Houston After School Counselor I - 21st CCLC - Ridgegate Elem. in Houston, Texas
Assist with providing quality childcare in after-school and/or preschool sites by teaching values, ensuring safety and facilitating structured play and educational activities with the children, in accordance with state requirements and YMCA policy. Assist with providing a quality experience to children and parents that focuses on youth development, including the YMCA core values: honesty, respect, responsibility, caring, and faith.
- Implements curriculum within the established guidelines.
- Distribution of snacks to children during snack time.
- Assists children with homework.
- Facilitates both formal and informal play within the center and outdoors.
- Supervises children under the direction of the Site Lead.
- Assists in creating daily/weekly lesson plans.
- Collects data for daily reports and maintains program records.
- Assists Site Lead and counselor(s) with the set-up and breakdown of activity centers and cleaning of the program area.
- Adheres to program standards including safety and cleanliness standards.
- Maintains positive relations with children, parents, school personnel, and other staff.
- Acts as a role model to the children by exemplifying the YMCA’s five core values.
- Makes sound decisions in alignment with YMCA and state standards.
- Attends and participates in family nights, program activities, staff meetings, and staff trainings.
- Reports suspicious and inappropriate behaviors and policy violations.
- Follows mandated abuse and incident reporting requirements.
- Ensures youth are properly signed in and signed out, ensures only authorized adults are allowed in the facility, etc. Adheres to policies related to boundaries with each child.
- Ensures unused rooms and closets remain locked; routinely monitors high-risk locations (bathrooms), etc.
- Assists the Site Lead where needed.
- At least 18 years of age.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- Three (3) months to two (2) years working with youth at a licensed facility, church, school or equivalentpreferred.
- CPR, First Aid, AED certifications and Child Abuse prevention trainings.
- Ability to plan, organize, and implement age-appropriate/developmentally appropriate program activities
- Previous experience with diverse populations.
- Current record of tuberculosis examination and/or current local health department regulations, examinations,and/or immunization as required by the local or State Department of Health.
- Pass a local/state background and FBI fingerprinting check as well as independent drug test.
Part-time, typically Monday-Friday, 2:30 pm – 6:30 pm (end time may vary). Program runs concurrently with ISD calendar. Must be available to attend and participate in family nights, program activities, staff meetings, and staff trainings. Details will provided in advance.
The YMCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer Females/ Minorities/ Veterans/Disabled. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status.
Posting ID 86135394380
Job Category Child Care-Before/After School