BMO Financial Group Senior Communications Specialist, Physical & Digital Channels in Toronto, Ontario
Mandate / Marketability
The Senior Communications Specialist, Strategic Initiatives is accountable to lead key strategic initiatives / programs for Communications for Channels & Partnerships Technology. The Senior Specialist, Strategic Initiatives will lead the definition of a communications strategy – both internal and external to support the CIO and all Senior Leadership team for all communications programs for the designated group, including idea formulation, business casing and execution.
The Candidate must be savvy and a leader in industry leading print, online & social media communication avenues (LinkedIn, twitter, facebook, Instagram, Yammer, etc….). For print, the person will lead a print communications strategy (email, newsletters, forums, etc…) for all internal channels and partnerships technology and key partner areas.
The candidate will report to the Director of Strategy & Business Planning and support all avenues of communication related to operations of the whole department.
Support business leadership in the development of the annual strategic planning by doing analysis and preparing presentations
- Understand business/group dynamics, marketplace trends and identify strategic options to improve business communications
- Conduct scenario planning and build business cases to support strategic options for communications
- Make proposal to leadership based on facts and gain approval to proceed with strategic planning
- Socialize strategic options with key stakeholders to gain support for proposal
Build implementation plans and define tactics and strategies to ensure successful business results of communications strategy
Lead initiative/program for all communications initiatives, both one time and ongoing
- Manage multiple programs/projects simultaneously and resolve conflicting priorities and objectives
- Prepare project plans and keep key stakeholders informed of the process and progress
- Strong SME in this field (print, written, online, social media) – understand the “customer” for each communications stream and adapt/tailor accordingly
Measure feedback, have KPIs and adjust based on “customer” feedback – have a data based, analytic approach to communications initiatives
Act as the main relationship management for multiple stakeholders (internal and external) for assigned programs and communications streams
- Establish working relationships with key managers within business management and all the channels technology and stakeholder groups
- Partner with other areas of the organization and/or external vendors/contracts as required to facilitate the achievement of deliverables and overall objectives
Advisory -- authority to provide advice and counsel to his/her colleagues on proposed strategies, the evaluation of existing and potential business initiatives and on internal and external factors affecting BMO FG.
Coordinating – authority to coordinate work and/or call people together to discuss/resolve issues. Can persuade people to change course and/or act in concert with each other.
Scope & Impact
Initiative / Program Scope: Key, leading edge strategic programs
Project complexity: High – large number of variables to understand in order to execute successfully
Type of project: Large scale, significant dollar impacts
Cross Functional Relationships
- Both internal and external relationships may exist depending on the nature of the strategic project/program.
Knowledge & Skills
Some knowledge of the financial industry
- University degree is desirable; strong communications background is mandatory
- Strong technical background is desirable
- Proven track record and experience in development and delivery of strategic initiatives impacting people, processes and technology
- In-depth knowledge with MS Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Proven track record delivering innovative solutions/strategies from concept to change management
Expert consulting, change management, project management and strategic thinking capability
- Proven ability to implement strategic vision
- Expert leadership & communciations capabilities
- Expert relationship management skills to effectively manage relationships across multiple levels of the organization, across lines of business, across various BMO FG companies and with external partner
- In-depth interpersonal skills
- Expert ability to navigate the corporate environment to deliver results
- Working impact and influence capabilities
- Results oriented and is able to work under minimal direction
- Expert at all communications channels including social media
- Normal office working conditions apply with minimal exposure to risk.
We’re here to help
At BMO we have a shared purpose; we put the customer at the centre of everything we do – helping people is in our DNA. For 200 years we have thought about the future—the future of our customers, our communities and our people. We help our customers and our communities by working together, innovating and pushing boundaries to bring them our very best every day. Together we’re changing the way people think about a bank.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmocareers.com.
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.